Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pune Traffic Sense

"I have to go, I don't have any patience" .... "Hey you f****r, let me go first!" ....

Oh boy. Punekars have zero - Z.E.R.O. - driving/riding sense. I'm not saying about all of them but at least 80%. All they think while driving is about their convenience and nothing of others. Not that they ride fast or rash, its just that drive in a pathetically dumb manner. You see, most of the two wheeler accidents caused in Pune are because of the riders trying to pull off their hair in frustration caused by the other drivers and riders travelling the way Punekars do! Now I'll tell you what all I'm exactly talking about...

Lane Discipline. That is seriously ignored by around 90% of Punekars. Suppose you want to take a left turn, you would drive slowly in the right-most lane and at the very last minute would take a left turn and endure the bloody honking of other drivers as if you were right all along! Another thing being, the people just don't know which lane is meant for what. Since in India, we drive on the left side of the road, the right-most lane is supposed to be the Fast Lane. Even on less wide roads this supposed to be maintained. Now what our Ideal Punekar would do is, even when you want to drive leisurely you would do that in the right-most(fast) lane. After honking as if your life is depended on it, he would casually change lanes and wonder what is wrong with you!

The Honking. This is one factor that seriously drives me mad! Why, why, why do companies produce such horns having billions of decibals bursting out of em?! I put my iPod on full volume to avoid this, but the honking just creeps in.
Why do people honk without a reason? Its an unsolved mystery....

The Pedestrians I read this amazing joke in CAR magazine I think, a few months back. It goes like this..
Q: Why do we have side-view mirrors?
A: To hit Stupid pedestrians with.
Q: Why do we have rear-view mirrors?
A: To watch the stupid in pain after you've hit them.
Q: Why do we have seat belts?
A: To restrain ourselves from getting out and physicaly assaulting the stupid pedestrians.

I know the point of this whole article was about Car Safety, but it also emphasises on how stupid the pedestrians are! One thing about a punekar I don't like is that if someone hits their car or does something offensive to him, he would get out and start shouting out swear words at him. And a hundred swear words later, he would sit back in and drive away. What a Mumbaikar would do is firstly get out smack one real hard on the person's face and THEN start the swearing! Now that's sense!

I have nothing against Punekars mind you, they are the sweetest people around. Very hospitable, very caring and would out of the way to help a stranger! But once they sit on their vehicles, everything goes wrong...

2 comments:

lechat said...

I thoroughly agree to ur views on pune traffic.They were also hilarious

Unknown said...

Saala... And you always told me you made that pedestrian joke up yourself...